Skip to main content

What is the best way to get the green card through employment?

Boston, MA |

I am a MBA holder working for a religious NFP in the US. Do you think it is easier to apply for a green card as religious worker or as skilled/professional worker? Do you know how long the process takes?
Thank you very much

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

As a general rule, and without knowing more about the particulars, it is easier and much shorter to obtain a green card as a religious worker than try to be sponsored through employment with a general degree such as an MBA. Unless you ate offered a job in a skill requiring an MBA at entry level (doubt it), you'll fall I the EB-3 category, where it will take up to 6 years to obtain your green card, and you'll need to maintain valid non immigrant status throughout all those years..

Now you tell me: isn't obtaining a CG by qualifying as a RW much simpler, if you already meet the requirements?

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


religious worker is a very specific petition. I would recommend a personal consultation with an experienced business immigration attorney in your area.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.


I agree with Mr Behar, but neither category is particularly "easy," and the time it will take may vary depending on the particulars of your situation. Let me know if my office can be of any assistance to you. - Disclaimer: This a general answer to your legal question. Unless you have a signed engagement letter with me, you should not consider this information to be legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer