Skip to main content

What is the best way to force a title transfer when the original owner is not in the US for a few years?

Apple Valley, MN |

I had bought a car from a gentlemen in Rosemount. This was the first car i had bought, so I tried getting everything set up. After a few months, i decided that i would sell the car for a better one, and sold it to my Co-worker. I realized that i never transferred the original title, so set up to get that taken care of. The state sent me a letter afterword saying that the title looked altered and that i needed to get a signature from the original owner, who is now overseas from millitary and no way for me to contact him. The title is in my name however and i need to get it transferred to my co-worker.

Also, i am unable to get another copy of the title since it's on hold due till i get the signature, and the state did not provide me with a new title when i tired transferring the first time.

+ Read More

Filed under: Vehicle title
Attorney answers 1


You can pursue a court action to transfer title. There's info available from the court at:

As with any court action, its highly recommended that you have any attorney assist you with your case.

This is general information not intended as legal advice. No attorney client relationship has been established. Bryan Zlimen is a licensed attorney in Minnesota and practices in the area of small business law, construction law, collections, and probate administration.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer