Skip to main content

What is the average settlement amount for a pedestrian who is struck by a car?

New York, NY |
Attorney answers 9


There is no average amount for such cases - especially since you are in the early stages of treating. You will need to establish that the injuries you sustained meet the NY Serious Injury threshold. We have substantial experience handling such cases and would be pleased to speak with you and answer any questions that you have regarding your accident.

Please call us 800.553.6009

Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship between us. The answer given is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for contacting an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction and obtaining legal advice from such an attorney.


It's impossible to answer your question without more details concerning the nature and severity of your injuries, your limitations, time out of work, impact on your life, etc. You need to speak with an attorney in your area concerning the specifics of your case, as case values not only depend on all of the above and more, but also your locale.

If you find this answer useful, please mark it as "Helpful". Likewise, if you believe it is the most responsive, please mark it as the "Best Answer". The information provided herein is for informational purposes only, and should not be relied upon or construed as legal advice or legal opinion. You should not rely upon the information provided at this site without seeking individual advice from an attorney. No attorney-client relationship can be assumed or created by this post.


Zero to ___
You should consult with an attorney.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff


It really depends and no one can answer your question since soft tissue damage is used to describe sprains that fully resolve, to to herniations that cause constant pain. Since the accident just happened you can't predict how you're going to heal. I've seen people treat a week for a soft tissue injury and I've seen people treat years. From what you've posted, it isn't even clear if you have an injury that constitutes a serious injury under 5102 of the insurance law. If it doesn't, you get nothing. Sorry I can't be more specific.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email -


As discussed, there is no average. In order to recover any money you must first prove that your injuries are "serious" under New York law.

There is always the chance that your injuries will not amount to a serious injury and there is no way to tell until there is more information including objective findings from the MRIs and continued treatment.

My gut feeling is that you have an attorney already. This person is in the best position to give you information on the value of your injuries and the length of time your case will take. However, in my view, any lawyer in this field who promises a recovery amount at an early stage is only guessing and doing them self and their client a disservice.

Yours sounds like a claim with potential. I suggest you continue treatment, listen to your doctors and be patient. If you don't have a lawyer, get one.

Good luck!

The aforementioned opinion does not constitute legal advice and is for general educational purposes only. See an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction for competent legal advice. No attorney-client relationship has been formed through the within legal question and answer session.


While I understand your question, there is no average settlement amount because there are so many variables that go into determining the value of the case. If you have an attorney, your lawyer should be able to assess the value of your case (we give each of our clients a detailed written Case Assessment). If you do not have an attorney, I recommend that you speak to an personal injury attorney experienced with pedestrian cases.

Your address indicates that you live in New York. If this accident occurred in New York, the value of your car accident case depends on three factors:

• The liability of the defendant: What percentage of liability will the defendant bear?
• Probability of Threshold: What is the probability of meeting the serious injury threshold? To collect damages in New York beyond No Fault, New York requires that you’re injuries meet the definition of a serious injury. If they do not meet the serious injury requirements, then the court will dismiss the case.
• The value of the damage: Based on an analysis of the medical records, lost wages, impact on your life and a review of similar cases, what is the value of the damages you have suffered?

As you can see, determining the value of a case is quite complicated. In our cases, we prepare a detailed analysis of liability that determines the range of liability the defendant will bear and the probability for each outcome. Your question says nothing about the liability issues. It is not clear from your description what percentage the defendant will bear, though surely one would fight to hold the defendant 100 percent responsible.

We also analyze the likelihood of meeting the serious injury threshold. Your soft-tissue injuries do not automatically qualify. We work with our nurse to fully analyze medical records and work with our experience of case law to demonstrate how even soft tissue injuries can meet the serious injury threshold.

Finally, one would need to determine the value of your damages and that requires analyzing both the medical records and other damages, such as lost wages. The value of the case will depend on many factors including the impact of the injuries on your life, the length and intensity of treatment, the venue (cases in the Bronx bring larger court awards than cases in Nassau County).

One way to estimate the value of a case is to do the math of multiplying the defendant’s liability by the probability of meeting the serious injury threshold by the value of the damages.
Even after you determine the value of your case, you will need to determine the ability of the defendant to pay. Often times the only money available to pay damages come from the insurance policy.

I hope this helps. As I said in the beginning, if you have a lawyer, you should speak to him or her about these issues. If you do not have an attorney, you should consult a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. I have attached several articles that will give you more information to consider – see the blue links below.

The Schlitt Law Firm and Carol L. Schlitt provide answers for informational purposes only. If this answer is helpful, please mark the “helpful” button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thank you. We are a plaintiffs-only, personal injury and medical malpractice law firm representing clients in the New York metropolitan area. We offer personal services built on the values of communication, education and responsiveness. Please understand that legal advice can only be given by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction who has a familiarity with the law concerning your question. This answer does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you are in the New York metropolitan area, feel free to call us at 1-800-660-1466 or contact our website and I will see if we can help you.


Every case is different and it is impossible to answer the question you posed. Moreover, no reputable attorney would answer the question without having any idea what your injuries are, what type of treatment you have, or will need in the future, and whether you sustain any additional economic loss such as lost earnings. You would be well served contacting a personal injury attorney to assist you as there a number of issues involved here, some of which you may have addressed already, and some you may not have. First and foremost, a No Fault application must be submitted to the insurance company for the vehicle that struck you within 30 days of the accident or they can deny benefits to you. No Fault is the primary source of payment for the medical expenses you incur as a result of the accident until those benefits are denied. An attorney can help guide you through the process. In order to obtain obtain compensation beyond that which is provided by No Fault, you must prove that you sustained a "Serious Injury" as defined by the insurance law. A "soft tissue" injury may, or may not be a "serious injury". If you can't prove a "serious injury", any claim would likely be dismissed by a Court. I highly recommend that you consult with an attorney as soon as possible.

New York Plaintiff's Personal Injury Attorney Serving NYC, Long Island, Westchester and the surrounding areas. The information provided herein is not, and is not intended to be, legal advice. The content herein is for information and educational purposes only, and is based on the limited information provided. Any information provided is not intended to, and does not, create any attorney/client relationship where none exists. For legal advice, please consult with an attorney. While this posting is made for informational purposes only for the AVVO community, to the extent one seeks to contact me based on the content herein, or that this may be viewed by some to be attorney advertising, please be advised of the following: *Attorney Advertising


each case is different. it is impossible to answer this question. Hire a lawyer and your chances of getting a higher settlement will increase. where did the accident happen?


Average amounts are not what you are interested in. You really want to know what is your case worth. That being said value of cases vary according to multiple factors, such as; severity of injury, amount of time out of work, what the diagnostic tests reveal, whether the injury is permanent, liability of the car, amount of insurance the car owner has if any, car owner's insurance company, venue of case, amount of treatment that is medically necessary and reputation of your attorney. You should definitely speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer to get the best results.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer