Skip to main content

What is the "Whistleblower Act"?

Houston, TX |

I worked for a fraudlent employer. They charged Medicare for various products that were never provided. When this was brought to their attention he said "Oh, I'll handle that!"

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If your employer is billing Medicare for products ore services that were never provided, they are violating the law. The False Claims Act (31 U.S.C. §§ 3729–3733) is federal law which allows people who to file actions against federal contractors (i.e. Medicare providers) claiming fraud against the government. This would be a form of "whistleblowing." The law allows a private person such as yourself, known as a "relator," to bring a lawsuit on behalf of the United States, when as here, you have information that your employer (or anyone else) has knowingly submitted or caused the submission of false or fraudulent claims to the United States. If you decide to file such an action, the claim would initially be kept under seal, so your identity is protected. Also, if there is a violation found, you would stand to receive a portion (usually about 15-25 percent) of any recovered damages, which could be substantial. You should speak to an attorney familiar with this area of law to determine if you have a claim or not.

David Manley


It sounds like you wanted to "blow the whistle" on their fraudulent Medicare claims. It is not clear whether you are still employed by this company. If they fired you, you may have a retaliation claim against them. Also, you may bring a lawsuit under the Fraud Claims for their bilking of Medicare. If you need further information, please call our law office.
Steve Petrou
Attorney at Law
11107 McCracken Circle, Suite A
Houston (Cypress), TX 77429
281-970-8559 (fax)

Confidentiality and Disclaimer: In the absence of a signed letter of engagement or a contract of representation, no information contained in this email constitutes an undertaking of representation or an expression of a binding legal opinion. This communication is confidential and privileged communication intended only for the correct party named and may not be reproduced or distributed without the written permission of the author.

This is not intended to be legal advice, but is only for general information. Cantact an attorney in your area for legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer