What is the general price for a chapter 7 bankruptcy in my area including lawyers fee?

Shirley, NY |

I have to file for a bankruptcy.I have tried to get around it but it is a must.And I want to know how much should I expect to pay to get started.
Thanks so much for your answers in advance!!

Approximately an $800 to $1200 attorney fee, depending on the complexity, along with filing costs (court $306 plus credit report and courses you must take.)

Disclaimer: This answer does not constitute legal advice. I am admitted in the States of New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts only and make no attempt to opine on matters of law that are not relevant to those three States. This advice is based on general principles of law that may or may not relate to your specific situation. Facts and laws change and these possible changes will affect the advice provided here. Consult an attorney in your locale before you act on any of this advice. You should not rely on this advice alone and nothing in these communications creates an attorney client relationship.

Howard E. Knispel

Howard E. Knispel

Why are you commenting on this? Do you practice in the Eastern District?

Theodore Lyons Araujo

Theodore Lyons Araujo

First, I am admitted in the EDNY but I do not practice there...why that would be important is a mystery to me as I answer questions from all parts of the United States. Second, this question was forwarded to me because it is in my jurisdiction, or was sent from a person in the NDNY, SDNY or WDNY where I do practice. Shirley NY is a rural community in the NDNY. Is there a Shirley NY in the EDNY? If so I am unaware of it. The fee I quoted is common for a 7 in the NDNY. I charge more in the SDNY, but there are attorneys doing 7's in the SDNY for less than $1,000.00. However, there is no need to be licensed in any jurisdiction in any state in order to answer the questions posted on Avvo. Theodore Lyons Araujo Attorney at Law E-Mail : taraujo@bodowlaw.com<mailto:taraujo@bodowlaw.com> Website: www.bodowlaw.com<http://www.bodowlaw.com/> Offices in Syracuse & White Plains, New York Bankruptcy Law Center Bodow Law Firm PLLC Nettleton Commons 313 East Willow Street, Suite 105 Syracuse, New York 13203-1905 Bankruptcy Law Center Bodow Law Firm PLLC "The Big Red Building" 399 Knollwood Road, Suite 300 White Plains, New York 10603 Telephone (315) 422-1234 Facsimile (315) 883-1322 Telephone (914) 206-9614 Facsimile (914) 206-9647 Member National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys (NACBA) the National Consumer Law Center (NCLC) and the American Bankruptcy Institute (ABI). We are a federally designated Debt Relief Agency under the United States Bankruptcy Laws. We assist people with finding solutions to their debt problems, including, assisting them with the filing of petitions for relief under the United States Bankruptcy Code. This email is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. §§ 2510-2521 This message may contain attorney/client privileged information and is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. This message may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, or their employee or agent, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of the communication is strictly prohibited, and you are requested to please notify us immediately by telephone at (315) 422-1234 and return the original message to the sender. Thank you.

Howard E. Knispel

Howard E. Knispel

Shirley NY is in Suffolk County, EDNY. I do not get inquiries from anywhere but the EDNY as that is my practice area (I am admitted in SDNY but have not filed a case there in about 10 years). A fee range question is very specific to it's geography. Answering questions about fees that do not apply to the geographic area can be misleading. I am trouble when I see attorneys answering questions outside their jurisdiction as laws and rules differ, even in bankruptcy law.

The fee will depend on the complexity of the case. The fee can range from $800 for a very simple case up to $2,000 for a debtor that owns a small business. Please visit my website at http://www.amdlaw.com/BankruptcyLaw/HowMuchDoesBankruptcyCost.aspx for estimates of what it will cost you to file for Chapter 7 based on your situation.

Quoting fees on minimal information is meaningless. Your personal circumstances will determine how much time it takes to represent your interests throughout the bankruptcy process. Think of it as though your are asking how much to replace the tires on your vehicle. Without telling us what your vehicle is (Huffy, Harley, Hummer, 18 wheeler), you will not get a meaningful answer. You should consult with an attorney who can assess your particular situation in order to get an answer to your question.

Diane L Gruber

Diane L Gruber

I charge based upon complexity of the case, but most attorneys here charge a flat fee, which is too high for a simple or relatively simple Ch.7, in my opinion.

Wow, you guys are inexpensive in NY!

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advise" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here. Please visit my web site: www.avanesianlaw.com for more information about my services.

I don't understand why attorney who do not practice in this area are answering this question. In Suffolk County most experienced bankruptcy attorneys charge between $1500 - $2500 depending on many factors. Tte is also a $306 filing fee for a Ch. 7. Call a local attorney to discuss your case.

The above is a general answer and is not considered legal advice. You should contact an attorney before proceeding to take any legal action, signing any papers or upon service of a summons. Howard E. Knispel 631-864-7589