Skip to main content

What is required of grandparents in Mississippi to get temporary custody of grandchildren?

Jackson, MS |

Mother is emotionally and physically abusive. Unfit. Parents have never been married. Father is a good daddy but has alcohol issues and will sign off to give his parents custody until he able to provide for the children. My husband is 68, I am 56. The children have lived with us off and on with and without parents for at least 6 months out of the year since the children were born. We are the father's parents.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


What you are referring to is not really a grandparent’s case or the ordinary custody case. From the limited information in the question, I think you need guardianship of the minor children. A Guardian ad Litem will likely be appointed to investigate any charge of abuse and to ensure this is in the best interest of the children. It would not surprise me if both parents were ordered to pay child support. Speak to a local family law attorney.

This reply is provided for information purposes only and does not represent legal advice or an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer