What is penalty for simple assault in nj for first offense

Freehold, NJ |

my ex husband pushed me and i had to go to er with cuts to my face. im in process of getting fro, police took out several weapons from the house. he has followed me in past and threatened me. He has joined every civilian police program that is offered. i guess to make friends with them. what will happen

You can tell the State what you think you should happen by calling the victim advocate at the prosecutor's office.

http://www.defendme.net | The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Florida. Responses are based solely on Florida law unless stated otherwise.

In terms of penalty, it is difficult to say because many factors will way into it at sentencing. My recommendation is to stay on the police and get a PFA ASAP.

Simple assault is considered a disorderly persons offense. I carries jail time up to 180 days, fines, probation, as well as community service. You should express your concerns with the prosecutor and complete whatever necessary is left for the restraining order. You should already have in place a TRO. Prosecutors do take into account the feelings of the victim after doing their investigatory due diligence on the case, and i assume the prosecutor (i believe Peter Warshaw) will be no different.

Call my office for a more thorough explanation, free of charge (609) 390-8888.

The Law Office of Brandon D. Walcott - 3 Harrys Court, Suite A, Ocean View, NJ - (609) 390-8888 - bwalcott@bwalcottlaw.com. This is for general purposes only and does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Contact an attorney licensed in your State for specific inquiries.

It sounds like this is only a simple assault. He likely will not go to jail only a fine maybe anger management. Speak to the prosecutor. Nicole is a great prosecutor and will tell Judge Foley the problem. But the FRO will prevent him from legally having weapons. If he threatens you call the cops. If he violates the FRO call the cops.