Skip to main content

What is needed to reverse an adoption in Florida?

Miami, FL |

At the age of 4 1/2, my Mom remarried and got my father to give up his rights to me so I could be adopted by her husband. Needless to say, 29 years later, she's divorced from him, and I do not have a relationship with that man. I do, however, have an amazing relationship with my birth father and would like the adoption reversed and the original birth certificate re-instated. What do I need to do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


At this point in your life there is no need to do anything. Be grateful if you have a good relationship with your birth father, who by the way can make you one of his heirs.
You might find my legal guide on selecting and hiring a lawyer helpful.
You might find my legal guide on Is it Legal? Is it Illegal? helpful.
You might find my legal guide on the understanding the different court systems helpful.
You might find my legal guide on legal terms used in litigation helpful
(Even if you are not filing a lawsuit this information can be useful).

You might find Gabriel Cheong’s legal guide on the do and don’t of finances after a divorce helpful.
You might find my legal guide on divorce in general and in NJ helpful.
(Much of this information is valid for unmarrieds who have children together).

Mr. Sarno is licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Sarno strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information about this issue.


In Florida, one may be adopted as an adult. An adult adotion is as effective as any other. Adult adopton is sometimes used for estate planning purposes. You cannot "un-do" the prior adoption. There is a one-year time limit for contesting an adoption.

Thank God for your relationship with your birth father.


Reversing an adoption is very difficult and I would recommend that you instead consider having your birth father adopt you now. Since you are an adult, this a relatively simple process that only requires your consent, and the consent of your birth father plus notice (not the consent of) to your birthmother and adopted father. This will result in an amendment to your original birth certificate to reflect your birth father as your father. Jeanne T. Tate

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer