Skip to main content

What is needed to prove damages in a libel or slander lawsuit?

Boston, MA |

I am part of a professional organization where one member has continued to imply false information regarding my personal character and professional judgment. I have had numerous other members of our professional network question me regarding these claims, all of which is documented by email which was initially "cc'd" to all members of our national organization. Recently, I feel that the false claims made by this individual has had enough of a negative effect on my reputation to result in being passed over for nomination to committee/speaking opportunities within my professional network. I also have emails that document my request for the individual to prove to me his claims and/or recant his statements. Does this warrant a legitimate claim on my part? What could I expect from litigation?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You should really sit down with an attorney to review all the facts and possible claims. Defamation basically requires a showing that a false statement was made about you and made or distributed for third parties to hear and as a result you suffered damages. In certain cases damages are presumed. You may also have claims for interference with business relationships or contract dealings, among others, but without knowing more it's difficult to say exactly what rights or remedies you may have. Litigation can result in cessation of the activities causing you harm, compensatory damages and perhaps punitive damages whether through a trial or settlement. Consult a litigation attorney and go from there. Best of luck.

Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. (It lets us know how we are doing.) Attorney Kremer is licensed to practice in Massachusetts. Please visit her Avvo profile for contact information. In accordance with Avvo guidelines, the following disclaimer applies to all responses given in this forum: The above is NOT legal advice, and is NOT intended to be legal advice. No Attorney-Client relationship is created through the above answer.


More information is needed to evaluate. Best bet is to sit down with a local attorney to review the information and your damages.


Well written. The is no clear answer, and there is no substitute for consulting with a lawyer

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- (978) 749-3606.
Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.