What is my option to legally stay, work and live in the US after I graduate if I have and F-1 visa?

Saint Paul, MN |

I will be finishing my bachelor's in Travel and Tourism w/ a minor in Business. I'm on a F-1 visa, I'd like to be able to stay legally, work, and live in the U.S. It will be almost a suicide to go back home, due to political inestability, second country with the highest dead/crime related, and other issues. I had a small business back home related to my bachelors wich I put on stand by to pursue a better future. I pretty much grew up in the U.S (legally) on vacation, and later on my adult life with an F-1, so I'm used to this system and I don't really fit in my home country anymore (sad but it is the truth). I belive in opportunities, hard work, NEVER free rides. H1-B visas are hard to get, not all of us are scientist, or computer programmr, what other options do I have?

Based on the limited amount of information, an H1B is your best bet unless you are willing to continue studying or are eligible for OPT or are considering lawful marriage to a US citizen. Also depending on where you are from you may qualify for an E2 investor visa or a TN visa.

Thanks for the response, I am originally from Venezuela, for what I have read E2 investor visa requires a min of $500,000 in a regional project, which is way above my investment capabilities. Now, do you think buying a business let's say between $70, 000-$100,00 would give the opportunity I need?

If you can find a job, you can start out with OPT and hopefully they will sponsor you for an H-1B before the OPT runs out.
There could be other options, like maybe starting up a business here, but I think your best bet is to talk in more detail with an immigration attorney to see exactly what options are there.

As you mentioned there is the H1, perhaps investment visa, true marriage to US citizen. You mentioned difficulties in the home country - asylum may be an option as well. You should consult with an attorney to discuss in detail.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 s.ouya@mainalaw.com Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

I have considered the H1, however for what I have researched is really hard to find an employer who is willing to sponsor that visa or that qualifies to sponsor a foreign worker. Now, let's say I have a friend who owns a business, could he be my sponsor, even though it might not be a highly specialized position?

Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

A friend can sponsor you for an H1 just as easily as a "non-friend" provided the same qualifications are met.