Skip to main content

What is my next step ?

Atlanta, GA |

Admitted to distributing goods from my company in the amount of 1,500 dollars and agreed to pay. Am checking mail and see that they decided to file for a hearing to issue a warrant, will pay the full amount back before court, however what is next step ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


If they have agreed to accept the settlement, there shouldn't be a court date. If not, if they did issue a warrant, you will be notified quite soon I am sure. Have you had a court date yet?


It sounds like you received notice for a warrant application hearing, where a judge will hear evidence and decide if you should be charged with a crime. You will need an attorney to assist you, and I suggest you speak with one before doing anything else.


The request for a warrant application hearing on the part of the store suggests that they seek to pursue criminal charges against you. However, there are different avenues an attorney can take in advance of the hearing date to try to avoid that outcome and keep this from harming your criminal history. You should retain a competent, qualified attorney as soon as is possible so that he/she can start to fight for you. Good luck.


Even if you pay the entire amount back they may still proceed with the charges. Paying them back is a great start, but you should hire an attorney.

James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. Any answer given assumes the person who asked the question holds a Georgia Drivers License, and this license is not a commercial drivers license (CDL). This response, or any response, is not legal advice. This response, or any response, does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.