Skip to main content

What is meant by “property in excess of $75,000” regarding Florida’s "Formal Probate Administration"?

Naples, FL |

When Florida probate law says you can use Summary Administration (rather than Formal Probate Administration), does Summary Administration apply:
a.) when the total amount of your all your property is less than $75,000, or…
b.) when the net remaining amount of your property is less than $75,000, if all other property is covered in a Living Trust or in Transfer-on-Death documents?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


B is the closest to correct answer. If the decedent owned property valued at $75,000 or less, and the property was not titled jointly, no beneficiary designated upon death or in trust, then the estate would qualify for summary administration. If the death occurs more than 2 years ago, then summary works no matter the value of the assets.

Answers to questions on this site are not intended to be specific legal advice nor create an attorney-client relationship. Hiring an attorney is a very important process which requires a high degree of diligence as well as entering into an agreement regarding the services to be provided and the fees to be charged.


$75,000 value of gross PROBATABLE assets. This would not include Trust or TOD property; however if it's a $250,000 house with a $175,000 mortgage on it, the value is not $75,000.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me at 954-567-4100. Also, if you liked this answer did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button


As explained by the previous answers, summary administration is available if the assets subject to probate are worth less than $75,000. Additionally, if the decedent passed away less than two years ago, it is important that there are no known creditors of the estate. If there are no known creditors and it has been less than two years since the decedent died, it will still be necessary to publish a notice to creditors in the newspaper. If any creditors file a claim within three months of the first date of that publication, you will have to convert to a formal administration. Feel free to call my office for a free 15 minute phone conversation to help determine how you should proceed.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer