Skip to main content

What is commitment to a mental institution? If a person is involuntarily taken and released in 30 minutes is she committed?

Atlanta, GA |

Based on a false call, police were called to X's house. She was home by herself. They were told she was depressed and was killing herself after losing a job by a jealous friend. Although she was very normal cooperative and very surprised at her home, she was taken involuntarily by the police to mental detention. There after talking to the Clinician and Psychiatrist she was released in 30 minutes. She has a professional high profile job, with no health problems or mental problems. Does't smoke, drink or do any drug abuse. Very normal person with no criminal history. Of course cops just do what they are told. The friend who called simply lied and said he is her family,and that's all they needed. Is she considered committed now?

She never had to go to any mental health court or faced any other problems again. Got an empty letter from the hospital where she was taken involuntarily. It has been 5 years since this incident and she has us usual lived a normal life advancing in her career.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


It depends upon how the statutes in GA define committed. In Florida, this might constitute being committed. Consult a local attorney, or look it up in the GA statutes or code.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq.,



Thanks so basically anyone can simple call cops on anyone saying they are acting weird and if they take them for mental evaluation and release them, they are committed. I thought only when the clinician or superintendent thinks the person needs to stay longer, they request a court order and then the person is considered committed. Just being taken involuntarily and release shortly, whereby the clinician thinks there is no need to keep the individual any longer and therefore no court order is necessary should not be considered committed. Even temporary commitment which is no more than 90 days requires a court order. So only a court can commit a person. Hope I am correct

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer