What is a delinquency petition ? ?

Tucson, AZ |

i got a letter in the mail with my attorneys information and it said she asked for a delinquency petition or something like that . . . what does it mean ? ? mi 17 years old and being charged with 2nd degree burglary and a felony . . but i said i wasn't guilty does that have something to do with it ? ? ? ?

I'd advise talking to your attorney.

Attorney David Kephart is an experienced Criminal Defense Trial Attorney and Jury Consultant. He is the recipient of the Arizona Attorneys for Criminal Justice President's Award and the recipient of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers Commendation for Excellence in Trial Advocacy. His response to your question is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, does not create an attorney/client relationship, and does not create a right to continuing email exchanges.

A delinquency petition are formal charges in juvenile court. You need to speak to your attorney and may want to consider retaining private counsel asap. At your age, you can very easily be charged as an adult. These are very serious charges and should be taken seriously. Good luck.

Kaitlin Verdura
Verdura Law Group PLLC
www.verduralaw.com
650-421-0515

A delinquency petition is a petition that is filed by the prosecuting attorney in cases where a child under 18 years of age commits a delinquent act.

Jason R. Smith

Jason R. Smith

Law Firm of Jason R. Smith 6909 W. Ray Road, Suite 15 Chandler, Arizona 85226 Office: (480)344-3443 Website: http://jrslaw.com/criminal-defense