Skip to main content

What immigration records must i have in safe keeping?

Fort Lauderdale, FL |

such as social security card,passport, birth certificate etc..

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Need more facts. What is your current status? Generally you should keep your birth certificate and passport with you. If you are a green card holder you should always have that with you. It is also good to make photocopies of important documents.

Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.


Also any visa approval notices from USCIS, etc.
If you are a naturalized citizen, then your naturalization certificate (costs $385 to replace if you lose it!)

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.



Father past away 5 years ago, which was a citizen. Mother has never step foot in the United States. Step-mother, who held all my records, also past away eight months after my father. I am a citizen born abroad, and I would like to know a list of files that i must have to be safe. All i have is my drivers license, social security card, and a copy of my born abroad certificate(not original)

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Giacomo Jacques Behar


Look at the instructions for filing Form N-600 Certificate of Citizenship. It contains a detailed list.


All of them. Every application you filed, every receipt notice, every request for evidence, every approval notice. Save it in electronic form if you can and in paper form.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.


You should have a copy of anything you have ever sent to or received from any immigration-related agency.


You should maintain all of your immigration records in a safe place. I recommend saving documents electronically and in hard copy. That would include, all applications you have filed, receipt notices, requests for evidence, court orders, approval notices, etc.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer