Skip to main content

What if we don't feel the child is safe to have supervised visitation?

Lakeland, FL |

I have primary custody of my daughter (I'm the father). I got custody when my ex wife went to jail for theft. She was given supervised visitation with HER mother and my daughter. Since the order, the ex wife has been arrested 2 more times (drugs and theft) and HER mother has also been arrested for abuse and has a restraining order on the ex. I'm waiting for a hearing to get sole custody and less visitation for the ex but in the meantime I don't feel my daughter is safe with her mother or the person that is suppose to supervise them and the 2 of them don't get along. What can I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


I definitely understand your concern but if there is a court order, you should comply with it so no issues come up that could be to your detriment.

What is the status on the pending court case?

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-354-5223. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.


If you feel that your child is not safe at all, the only thing you can do is call DCF. Otherwise, you have to wait for your Court date. Good luck.

This information is a general answer and is not specific to any particular case. Carin Manders Constantine, Esq. 727-456-0032/ 727-488-8272


If you don't like the order....then move to change it. But you cannot violate it absent direct danger.

Bill Rosenfelt 407-462-8787 (Orlando/Longwood/Central Florida)

Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.


It is in your best interest to follow the court's orders as they are in effect today not what you think it will say after the hearing date. In the meantime, contact DCF at (800)96-ABUSE if there is a clear need to protect your child. DCF investigators look at the criminal and past DCF records for persons whom are requesting contact with the child as well as do home studies (check out the homes where the child could be) to make sure it is safe. If there is a problem, DCF can shelter the child from the mother and maternal grandmother and place her solely with you. The courts will not hold you in contempt when you contact the appropriate party and let them make the determination rather than just blatantly disregarding the Judge's order.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer