Skip to main content

What if The L1B resign the current Employer?

Sacramento, CA |

1. does it still I94 will determine his/her stay here in US?
2. Can he still stay here till the I-94 expire?
3. Can i be sponsor by another employer by while staying in US or do i need to back to my country to file another L1 Status?
4. can i be hired by another employer and sponsor another type of VISA (which visa type? )to work and stay here?

your help is much appreciated. Thanks!

5. Can L1B transfer to F1 during his/her stay in US? 6. Will the status will expire or collapse as soon as i resign the current Employer/petitioner ? Thanks in advance!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Generally, if you resign from your L-1B employment, you are no longer in a lawful non-immigrant status. You will start incurring unlawful presence which may have adverse consequences. Also, a change of status request cannot be approved if you are not maintaining your current non-immigrant status. Please hire a qualified immigration lawyer.


1) No. I-94 states period of authorized stay. Once terminated, you status ends.
2) No.
3 & 4) Once status expires, you should ideally leave or talk to a competent immigration attorney to consider if a nunc pro tunc employer petition can be filed in your behalf.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.


1. no
2. no
3. need to go back
4. not without leaving the US.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer