Skip to main content

What if someone does not get a speedy trial ?

Watertown, NY |

my friend never got a speedy trial on a stalking charge and was shoved from court to court for 2 year with an order of protection and then found out the person that had the stalking charge and order of protection on her lied and the charges were dropped and then a few months later got arrested again for stalking by communication and when the 5th judicial district told her to get a hold of the mayor and trustees about this person that has this stalking charge and an order of protection and this person that's accusing her sits on a municipality they arrested her again last year their avoiding a trial and postponing it cause they don't want to get sued

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Contact a local criminal defense lawyer.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


If the case was dismissed speedy trial is not an issue. Call a criminal defense and civil rights lawyer.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


The facts are kind of confusing as you presented them. You or your friend should contact an experienced criminal defense attorney to discuss this matter.

Former Prosecutor and Family Court Law Clerk. I am available for phone consultations at (914) 368-2646. This answer is very general and is not intended to be specific legal advice and does not create any attorney/client relationship. Please consult an attorney with the specifics of your case to determine your best course of action in or out of court


If the original charge was dismissed, it's over and recharging her with the same conduct would violate double jeopardy. If the new charges are based on new conduct, however, then your friend has a new case that must be addressed and she needs a lawyer.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer