Skip to main content

What if ive done everything other than paying my fines(due to financial reasons), taken my 3 month dui class/completed a5mdrug p

Long Beach, CA |
Attorney answers 5


It's a bit unclear what you were convicted of but it appears you were convicted of a misdemeanor drug DUI. It further seems you are asking how you can early terminate your probation (which is presumably a standard term of 3 years). Assuming all of this correct (that's a lot to assume since you were unclear), you can file a motion for early probation termination (Cal. P.C. 1203.3). You must have completed any requirements of probation (fines, community service, etc) before the judge will order early probation termination. Therefore you can forget about this unless and until you pay off your fines. Often the court will grant early termination of probation if you've completed at least 1/2 of your probation, this is your first offense, and you have good character and professional references. Finally, you should hire an attorney for this. Since you can't pay your fines, I think it makes most sense to save up and pay off your fines. Then when you have money you can terminate probation. Additionally you can also seek to have the matter expunged under 1203.4. Good luck.


You need to pay your fines before you even start thinking about early release. You need to give the judge a reason to release you early.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for IMPORTANT INFORMATION about this AVVO Answer. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I am an experienced Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.


The courts will not terminate early until all your obligations are met.


You will not be able to terminate your probation early until the fine is paid in full. Start making payments on the fine since sooner or later you may need to ask for an extension and in Long Beach an extension will only be granted if a significant portion of the fine is paid. Otherwise it is likely that you will be remanded into custody.

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.


All terms of probation must be completed before termination early. You may
be able to get the fine reduced because of your financial situation or some
of it converted to public work service.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer