Skip to main content

What if i get divorced in the 2 year period of status residency. will that affect me in any way or will affect her.

Tucson, AZ |

i need to know because i was scammed

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


It would certainly affect her (the beneficiary) as she would have to apply to lift the conditions on her residency by herself based on a good faith marriage exception in which she would have to show that the marriage was entered into in good faith.

You also have some options. They depend on how far you want to push this. You can also try to have the marriage annulled or get a divorce.

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions. Visit us at Contact us at 713.335.5505 or email at Veronica Tunitsky offers in-person, as well as telephone and email consultations.


I agree with my colleague.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.