Skip to main content

What if during legal separation spouse is charged with a DUI and that DUI resulted in property or bodily injury. Am I liabile?

Owensboro, KY |

I understand normal financial liability, but I resent the possibility of being held liabile for something that is totally out of my control--we live in the same city, but do not see each other regularly. She had a "minor" DUI before she separated... and since the has had "bouts" of intoxication.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


I have altered your post to the civil law section of avvo so some civil lawyers may respond. There are several issues: is the vehicle in joint names or hers only? Is the vehicle insured? Is the vehicle addressed in the separation agreement? Is the title in your name? Was car purchased during the marriage?, etc. You need to speak with your family lawyer and address your concerns to protect yourself.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

Avvo divorce email series

Sign up to receive a 10-part series of useful information and legal advice about the divorce process.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer