Skip to main content

What happens with death benefit of my husbands life insurance?

Camarillo, CA |

I have power of attorney over assets for my husband . He passed away last week I put the policy in my name in 2011 . I was 1990s beneficiary I recently read my power of attorney and it said I did not have the power to change ownership . But I did have the power to change beneficiaries What happens now with the death benefit Thank you Barbara Nash

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Assuming you were the beneficiary upon his death-I would just submit a death certificate to the insurance company asking to receive a beneficiary check.
Provide your mailing address with request.
Very sorry for your loss. If you were the beneficiary upon his death-the ownership question should not make a difference.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.


I agree changing ownership and changing beneficiaries are two separate things...

This is for general information only. Nothing in this information should be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship nor shall any of this information be construed as providing legal advice. Laws change over time and differ from state to state. These answers are based on California Law.Applicability of the legal principles discussed may differ substantially in individual situations. You should not act upon the information presented herein without consulting an attorney about your particular situation. No attorney-client relationship is established.


As the other attorneys stated, ownership and beneficiaries are distinct. Submit the death certificate to the life insurance company and make a claim for the benefits. If they refuse or deny the claim, then you should contact an insurance attorney. Good luck with everything.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer