What happens when your Florida child support case is sent to their attorneys?

Brandon, FL |

My child's father has been eluding child support since it was ordered by the judge. He moved out of state and only pays $50 when he gets a notice. He has filed fraudulent tax returns for FL DOR to intercept to get out of paying. Resulting in the IRS catching it and requesting FL DOR to pay it back (they did). His license were suspended but he paid the required amount to get them back and hasn't paid since, he has been filing petitions saying he is unemployed but I have proof of him with his business he operates and has been advertising. But he never goes through with the petitions. Child support is based off minimum wage and he still keeps lying trying to avoid that. Now I found out today that the case was sent to FL DOR attorneys, what does this mean or what could happen?

It likely means that more punitive/coercive action is being sought by DOR. DOR would have been involved already to suspend his license, I'm guessing. So this is just more of the same. You really need to hire a private attorney if you'd like to get quicker results........like in front of a judge on a contempt motion!

Bill Rosenfelt 407-462-8787

Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.

I agree with Mr. Rosenfelt - DOR cases are like an endless cycle and get dragged on and on. It might be time to consider having an attorney on your side to be more aggressive and try to obtain results.

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-354-5223. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

It merely means that the State of Florida is going after him further now. You will need to stay in touch with that attorney's office and give them the information you have gathered.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239

DOR is slow but they can do stuff that a private lawyer cannot - like intercept a tax refund.