Skip to main content

What happens when u have been issued a ticket instead of jail time on malicious 3 degree. Have a court date tomorrow

Vancouver, WA |

I have never been in trouble with law .no record

Ok I went to court today . All that happened is I got another court date in may. I guess that's when the prosecutor will go over everything and figure out what judgments will come about. Since this is the only on my record what would probably happen .. .would I serve jail ( I'm scared to death to ever go through) or fines or ???

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Being issued a criminal citation for malicious mischief 3 starts the criminal process by giving you a court date for arraignment. Your first court date is where you will plead not guilty and likely will be asked if you want to screen for a court appointed attorney. If you do not qualify, you may want to contact a local defense attorney to assist you through the process. There may be a number of options to keep this crime off your record given your background, and an experienced attorney could assist you through the process of exploring all of your options.

Jeff Holmes - Attorney at Law - - 360.975.9288. Disclaimer: This answer does not constitute legal advice. This information is based on general principles of law, as well as my general experience that may or may not relate to your specific situation. This information is not meant to take the place of actually consulting an Attorney in your jurisdiction. If you would like legal advice, I would recommend consulting an attorney in your locale.


There are a number of solutions that may result in a dismissal, depending on a number of individual and case-specific facts. It is best to contact an experienced attorney immediately to start the process going to get the case resolved as favorably as possible for you.


For certain crimes police officers have discretion, upon arrest, to either book the suspect into jail, or issue a summons to appear and release the suspect. Ultimately, this has no bearing on the merits, or outcome of the case, except that you won't likely have to post a bond to get out of jail pending the resolution of your case.

A person is guilty of malicious mischief in the third degree if he or she: (a) Knowingly and maliciously causes physical damage to the property of another, or (b) Writes, paints, or draws any inscription, figure, or mark of any type on any public or private building or other structure or any real or personal property owned by any other person unless the person has obtained the express permission of the owner or operator of the property.

Malicious Mischief in the third degree is a gross misdemeanor, which carries a maximum penalty of 364 days in jail and a $5000.00. If you are a first time offender it's often possible to keep charges like these off your record, so it would be a wise decision to speak with and hire a local defense attorney to review your case. Feel free to give me a call if you need further assistance. I hope you find this information useful. Good luck.


Get a lawyer.

Aaron M. Lukoff
Attorney at Law
Criminal & Civil Traffic Defense
Law Offices of Aaron M. Lukoff & Associates, PLLC
Fiat justicia ruat coelum

** LEGAL DISCLAIMER ** My response to your question is not legal advice and it does not establish an attorney-client relationship. When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on Washington law as I am licensed in Washington. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue/matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose. For specific legal advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain an attorney. For more information or to hire a lawyer, you can reach my offices at:; 360-647-5251 or at


It is very true that you need an attorney. Get one now. If you can't afford to hire an attorney make sure you apply for one through the courts.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer