Skip to main content

What happens to my Immigration status?

San Antonio, TX |

I have been married a year and seven months and I have had a conditional permanent residence for a year and three months courtesy of sponsorship through my husband. I found out recently that he has been cheating on me with several women. I really want to leave him but I am not sure how this will affect my conditional status. Please what options do I have if we decide to go our seperate ways..

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You may be able to do, however, this is one situation when you would truly need to have a chat with a competent immigration attorney beforehand.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


To obtain a permanent green card and remove the conditions on your conditional green card in this scenario you need to get divorced first and then you can file for the removal at any time but you need competent counsel to help you with this since this is a complicated process but you do not have to continue living in an unhappy marriage if you do not want to.


It is best to consult with an experienced Immigration Attorney to discuss your options.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.


The question is whether the relationship with your husband was entered into in good faith. Once you can answer "yes" to this question then you would need to considered what type of evidence you would be able to present to immigration to confirm your relationship was real. Another consideration is the impact of a divorce and the timing of said divorce. As my colleagues stated, it's best to consult an immigration attorney to review your case, evidence, and your future actions to determine what is the best thing to do in your case.