Skip to main content

What happens to illegal immigrants who are also unaccompanied minors once they reach the Tacoma Deportation center?

Tacoma, WA |

Will you explain what you know about unaccompanied children who are held in the Tacoma detention and deporting center? Will you help me to clarify and resolve 4 questions/dilemmas that I have about this? A. How can the citizens of Tacoma help? If a family can't foster then is there any way to organize volunteerism in that facility? B. What is the quality of care, attention, safety, and comforting conditions being provided? C. How seriously is the gov. looking for the families of these children? D. There is a concern that unaccompanied (young) children are being flown to Tijuana, MX and then escorted by police to undisclosed areas and left to fend for themselves. They are sent if they speak spanish even if they are not from Mexico. How true is this?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


While I am not familiar with the Tacoma Detention Center, detained and non-detained unaccompanied minors may be eligible to self-petition for permanent residence through the Special Immigrant Juvenile (SIJ) visa. You may want to call your local immigration pro-bono services in the area as there may be some pro bono services for detained juveniles eligible for SIJ. Unaccompanied minors are a huge issue and their care in detention can vary depending on what part of the country the child is detained. You can always contact your local and federal representatives if you are concerned about how these children are being cared for in custody. You may also want to contact an immigration attorney in your vicinity who is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) and ask them for further advice on how to get involved in helping these individuals at a local level.