Skip to main content

What happens to child care costs after age 13?

Portland, OR |

I am divorced and paying support, which includes child care costs. In reading the guidelines from the oregon child support calculator website, one document says enter child care costs..."as long as the child is under age 13 or is a child with disabilities." What happens when a child reaches 13? Does that mean I can take out child care costs from the computation of child support? Im not sure what happens after age 13 for child care costs. Thanks.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Day care expenses cannot be used in the child support calculation after age 13 IF the child support is being recalculated.

Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662. Please be aware that each answer on this website is based upon the facts, or lack thereof, provided in the question. To be sure you get complete and comprehensive answers, based upon the totality of your situation, contact a local attorney who specializes in the area of law that involves your legal problem. Diane L. Gruber has been practicing law in Oregon for 26 years, specializing in family law, bankruptcy, estate planning and probate. Note: Diane L. Gruber does not represent you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and Diane L. Gruber, and the fee listed in the agreement has been paid.


When a child is under age 13 or is legally disabled, then either parents' contribution to work-related day care expenses is factored in to child support calculations. Once a non-disabled child turns 13, though, they're deemed to not need day care anymore. Parents can still pay for day care, but those payments won't be included in the child support calculation. This page contains an application for computing child support amounts presumed correct under Oregon law:

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: | Online:

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer