Skip to main content

What happens to B1/B2 visa after change of status to F1

College Station, TX |

I entered US on a valid b1/b2 visa on july 2010 with I-94 valid for 6 months ending on Jan 2011. I then filed for a change of status to F1 on Dec 2010 and it got approved on Feb 2011, since then I graduated and am currently on a valid OPT. I wanted to know what happens to my B1/B2 Visa which is valid till 2015. If I leave the country now and come back in 6 months will I be able to enter the US with my B1/B2 visa?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You will most likely be able to be readmitted on your still valid B visa, but make sure not to fall out of your F-1 Status by overstaying.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.



Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


If you maintained your status as a F1 and never overstayed, you can come back with your B1/B2 visa.


yes oyu can come back on your B multiple entry visa


If you never violate the terms of the F1, yes.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer