Skip to main content

What happens to a wife's existing EAD which may have arrived or application of green card once she is divorced from her husband?

Ocean City, NJ |

I got married in May 11. His case was EB3 India with a PD of 9/06. He held a EAD and re-filed his H1 and got me into the USA on H4,. He had told me before I arrived in USA that he will file a I-485 for me after I get there, and I would could get a travel document and EAD at that time. I arrived in the US, but do not know if he filed anything. He merely told me a EAD was not possible immediately.

I left my husband in February of 2012, and filed for divorce in India in Sept 12,. He changed his job in Mar 13, and may have changed his status to EB2, as he earned his Master's degree

Could my EAD would have been applied or processed? I don't remember signing on anything? What are my options ? Is there a way to find out info on my file from anywhere w/o his help. I only hv H4 visa info.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You seem to lose that EAD eligibility or any legal AOS possibility with that spouse upon divorce.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois


As a derivative spouse, you cannot be issued an immigrant visa or obtain approval of an adjustment of status application upon divorce.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer