Skip to main content

What happens to a deposit set forth in a legal agreement of a lease to buy option when the potential buyer breaks the contract ?

Binghamton, NY |

We the sellers had a legal agreement signed, witnessed and notarized with the buyers to lease for two years and then purchase our home. The buyers put forth $10,000.00 which is to be used for the purchasing of our home and is in a separate account with interest. The buyers broke the contract and left the home for no apparent or given reason or loss of job. Legally can we keep some of that deposit to put forth on the rent that is unpaid and any damages within the home?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It depends on what the agreement says in the event of breach. You should bring the agreement, proof of payments, etc., (and take pictures of the house for any damage) to a consultation with an attorney whose practice focuses on real estate law. Find out about your rights before they make any demands for their money back. Or, practically speaking, don't do any of that until you receive some sort of demand.

Any answer provided by me does not create an attorney client relationship with the author of the question. An attorney client relationship can be formed with me only after a consultation and subsequent execution of a retainer agreement or letter of engagement. Notwithstanding that, the prospective client is afforded the protections of the attorney-client privilege before and during the consultation regardless of whether the retainer agreement or letter of engagement is subsequently signed.


That depends onwhat the agreement says about the deposit. Many times these types of agreements state that if the buyer breaches the agreement they forfeit the down payment. Have an attorney review the agreement to determine what is supposed to happen to that down payment and what other remedies you might have.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be deemed to have been created.


Hi there--take your agreement and other documentation to a local attorney for review and advice. Unfortunately, it is impossible and imprudent to give specific advice regarding your agreement on this forum. Avvo has many capable attorneys to assist you, just use the Find a Lawyer feature. Best of luck.

Answer given for general advice and is not a legal opinion, which would require an analysis of the facts and circumstances as well as the applicable law and regulations.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer