Skip to main content

What happens in mediation when a parent refuses visitation to grandparents because she does not trust them and because of all

Riverside, CA |

the harassment and threatning to take her son away as well as lies about her in order to make her look not fit. Does she not have a right to say who her son see's or are her rights being violated. The grandparents don't want guardianship, just visitation. But after all that was said and done about her and her family she wants nothing to do with them.I always thought grandparents didn't have a legal right for visitation.The grandparents drop the guardianship in court and we were ordered to see a mediator.

Confused in Riverside,Ca. I forgot to mention the grandparents never at any time had custody of my daughter's son.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Your question is unclear. Did the Grandparents have guardianship and you are trying to get custody of your child back? Did they agree to drop their guardianship for you? The Mediator would have set out the terms of the visitation and other details. The reality is that if your Son was in their custody for a long time, it is in his best interests to keep that connection to them. We cannot really answer better without more information or clearer questions. You should look in Riverside for a Legal Aid clinic or use the to find an attorney in your area. In addition to that, contact your local bar association for referral to an attorney who specializes in this. Often, but not always, the attorney will do an initial consultation free of charge. You will then be in a better position to determine what to do next. Best of luck to you!

If you liked this answer, click on the thumbs up! Thanks. Eliz. C. A. Johnson Post Office Box 8 Danville, California 94526-0008 Legal disclaimer: I do not practice law in any state but California. As such, any responses to posted inquiries, such as the one above, are limited to a general understanding of law in California and not to any other jurisdiction. In addition, no response to any posted inquiry should be deemed to constitute legal advice, nor to constitute the existence of an attorney/client or other contractual or fiduciary relationship, inasmuch as legal advice can only be provided in circumstances in which the attorney is able to ask questions of the person seeking legal advice and to thus gather appropriate information.


I agree your question is unclear.

Grandparents visitation rights have been greatly diminished following a series of decisions the chief case most often cited by lawyers being Troxel;

Guardians (be they grandparents or whoever) are allowed visitation after the guardianship is terminated, usually this is provided for in the termination order.

If there was no final guardianship order granted in the first place, then this visitation privilege would not apply.

More information is needed by you and also I advise you to consult a lawyer. I am in your area if you wish to call.

Legal disclaimer: Legal disclaimer: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Do not rely on this advice without speaking to an attorney in detail about your case. This message does not create an attorney-client relationship (760) 328-5073 (951) 934-0620