Skip to main content

What happens in a fraud investigation in ca is this fraud what do i do

Lake Elsinore, CA |

I was in a domestic violance situation with my kids dad i went to apply for homeless assistance because i moved out do to it he lived on the same property as me but a differant house when i showed my worker the police report the cop had said he was living with me my worker said she was gonna investigate me for fraud

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


First, it is really not a good idea to post anything related to a possible criminal claim against you. What you are seeking should really be kept extremely confidential, and a public internet site is not the place to be explaining what you did. Please, it is important that you not post any more about this.

Second, a fraud investigation, generally, will look into the specific facts of what you said, and what your living arrangements were. If you did not tell the absolute truth when procuring the government benefits, and telling the absolute truth would have changed the decision to extend those benefits to you, you will likely be charged with fraud, and at the very least, be ordered to return the money provided to you. Government benefit fraud can, in some instances, have greater consequences, like penalties, and perhaps loss of personal freedom.

You need to get to a legal aid clinic and speak with a lawyer about the specifics of your situation. Here is a link to a website that identifies many legal aid clinics. Hopefully one is in you area.

Good luck to you.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.


If there are element of misrepresentation to authorities you need to prove that what u said or wrote was truth.Use declarations from neighbors relatives or anybody that knows your situation and what happen. Cops make mistakes like everybody else. Also u are in an emotional post traumatic stress syndrome situation as a victim od Domestic Violence. You react as a "rabbit in front of the lights"
Ask help from the DV legal aid unit in your area

Disclaimer: The information contained in this website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as a legal advice on any subject. No recipients of content from this site,clients or otherwise,should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient's state. The content of this website contains general information and may not reflect current legal developments, verdicts or settlements. The Karamanlis Powers Law Offices expressly disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents of this website, weblogs, twitter, facebook, google+.