Skip to main content

What happens if you take off your ankle monitor?

Athens, GA |

My bf was on probation with an ankle monitor. After testing positiv for marij he left the office took off the bracelet. He said he panicked becaus the po told him that he would revoke his bond. After 2 days he turned himself in. He is now charged with a probation violation misdemeanor and a felony for the monitor. The bond did not get revoked however in fact he has a bond for the misdemeanor but not for the felony. What does usually happen in such cases considering that he turned himself in?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

There is usually no bond for arrest on probation violation and your BF will,have to wait for the sentencing court to,schedule a hearing for probation violation, this can sometimes take 4-6 weeks depending on the courts schedule. It is to his benefit that he turned himself in but he is still,in violation for the positive test and taking monitor off. You should hire Defense attorney ASAP - they might be able to speed the hearing process up and find some mitigating factors



He actually has two already and is going to court in the morning for the misdemeanor. I am hoping that due to the fact that he turned himself in and considering that he has a full time job that his boss is holding for him will be of benefit?


He needs to hire a criminal defense as soon as possible. A felony charge is a serious matter which can affect the rest of your life. Use the AVVO directory to find an experienced criminal defense attorney in your area.

The answer provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship. This answer is for general informational purposes only and should not be considered a substitute for retaining an attorney who can investigate and analyze all the material facts of your situation.


Your boyfriend needs a criminal defense attorney to represent him ASAP. The new charges need attention as well as the potential motion to revoke his probation. Get counsel NOW!

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer