What happens if you have three dwi and your license is suspended in NJ and you get pulled over in another state?

Mays Landing, NJ |

New Jersey is part of the interstate drivers compact and will be notified If you are convicted of any moving violation. You have committed a violation of 2C 40-26, a 4th degree charge punishable by 15 months in jail. Fight the out of state charge like your freedom is at stake. Because it is.

Law Offices of James A. Abate Jabatelaw.com (732) 412-2364

I couldn't state it any better than Mr. Abate just did.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

There is a list of State's that are not part of the interstate compact. I am not suggestioning that you drive but if you MUST drive there...

You do not have a license. So you will likely be charged with either unlicensed driver or driving revoked in the other State. You will be punished by that State’s laws. Then NJ will find out about it. James Abate is a great attorney and we rarely disagree. But here I think you would be subject to driving revoked on a DWI suspension by the MVC and the jail would be 10 days to 90 and another 2 1/2 year suspension and $2000-$3000 fine plus surcharges. The criminal offense with the 18 months prison sentence was not committed in the State so I do not know if that would be charged.

James A. Abate

James A. Abate

Very good point and thank you for clarifying that. I must make a note to check if the Statute can subject a driver to imprsonment for out of state violations. I'm not sure as I sit now. Still 10-90 days in jail is not fun either.