Skip to main content

What happens if you fail a drug test while on house arrest?

Lancaster, PA |

I am on house arrest for a first time DUI. I have to be on it for 15 days. When the PO hooked me up and everything she told us that if you fail a drug test while on it you will go to jail. She also said that the day I am able to get it taken off
I have to pass a drug test first. She didn't give me a drug test before house arrest at all. If I smoked marijuana a couple weeks before house arrest even started what will happen if I'm drug tested and I fail for that?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Marijuana shows up in nanograms on drug tests (if done with blood, urine works a little differently). If administered with urine you could just wait for the results. Or you could hire an attorney and have them explain the situation to your PO and maybe even delay the test by a couple of days. Even if you fail, you can request a hearing in front of a Judge since the Court will make the ultimate decision or any consequences, including whether or not you go to jail.


The PO will generally be able to tell how recently you smoked. What is most likely to occur is that they will argue that it was while you were on house arrest, while you and/or your attorney will argue that it was before you started. It will be up to the judge to decide based on the evidence presented which person is believable.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. This answer is provided for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice and it does not create an attorney/client relationship. More importantly, the information contained in this answer should not be relied on. You should consult an attorney who practices in the relevant area of the relevant jurisdiction.


The judge will make the decision if it leads to that. Marijuana can stay in a persons system for 30 days. Depending on the amount found in your blood they can have some idea of when you smoked. Just be honest with her. If it turns into a problem hire a good lawyer and let him work it out with her and the judge.

Michael Kotik Lawyer at
Two Penn Center (Philadelphia)
1500 John F. Kennedy Blvd., Suite 220
Philadelphia, PA 19102
(215) 564-1010 (Direct Line)
(267) 265-4553 (Cell Phone) (Email)

Answers are not of fact, but rather the opinion of the attorney answering the questions asked. At no time does this answer create an attorney-client relationship. To the extent that these answers may become available to the general public there is no confidentiality as it pertains to this answer or question. The law changes frequently, and the material on this website is for general information purposes only and neither constitutes nor is intended to be legal advice. Prior to acting based upon this general information you SHOULD seek legal counsel regarding your specific legal matter. The outcome of every case is dependent on the specific facts and legal circumstances of each individual case. This website is not an offer to represent you, which can only be made after a consultation with one of the attorneys from Kotik, P.C. The Lawyer answering this question does not intend to practice in any other jurisdictions where it is not licensed. Attorney is Licensed in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The firm does not seek to represent anyone viewing this website in other jurisdictions, and the website may not comply with the laws and ethical rules of states other than Pennsylvania and New Jersey. If you have any questions please contact my office at 215-564-1010. Law Office of Michael Kotik, P.C., | | 1500 John F. Kennedy Blvd., Suite 220. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19102