Skip to main content

What happens if you crash a car into city property and have no license

Chicago, IL |

i hit a bump in the road that made the car lose control . the accident was caused because of the bump . the car spun and hit a light poll . i have to license .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Simple answer, your in trouble. You will probably get ticketed for not having a license and for the accident. Talk to criminal defense attorney how to handle those tickets.

You will also get a bill from the city to pay for the damage. If the car was insured, they need to be notified. If no insurance, be prepared to pay for the damage or the city will probalby take you to court.

I am licensed to practice law only in Illinois. Any advice that I render is for general information purposes and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Also it is very important to keep in mind that all legal claims have statues of limitation to file that cannot be missed. A local attorney should be consulted to learn the time limits applicable to a particular claim.


Problems. You can receive citations for a number of offenses and you will most likely have to pay for the repairs to the propery you damaged.

Good luck.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.


If you get citations, retain a local criminal lawyer to defend. Good luck.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


Agree with my colleagues.

Let me just highlight a few things, get licensed and insured if you are driving!

If you are insured, report this and the carrier may cover it. Then again, it may determine no license voids coverage.

If no insurance exists, speak to a traffic/criminal lawyer ASAP.

Stephen L. Hoffman
Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
Chicago, IL

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.


You really need to do as my colleagues have indicated and do it as soon as possible. No driver's license, hit a light pole (city property), and perhaps driving with no insurance. If I were you, I would run, not walk, to an excellent Chicago criminal defense attorney to help you through the process. This could wind up costing you some considerable dollars. I would also recommend that you get your license renewed and get some insurance right away. That might help some when you see the Judge. Best of luck.

Mr. Crosner is licensed to practice law in California and has been practicing law in California since 1978. The response herein is general legal and business analysis.. It is not intended nor construed to be "legal advice" but rather it is analysis, and different lawyers may analyze this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer