Skip to main content

What happens if I plead not guilty to a dui - in Hillsborough county - but need a public defender is it still a traffic case?

Tampa, FL |
Attorney answers 4


It is not just a traffic case, it is a first degree misdemeanor, a criminal case. The public defender can be appointed for you. The best case scenario is that the case is dropped by the state attorney.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq. We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I make do not constitute legal advice. Any statements made by me are based upon the limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in Florida.


Well if you cant afford an attorney then you will be appointed a public defender. If you can afford an attorney or perhaps a payment plan, it would be worth it to get an attorney that practices DUI defense such as myself. I have an office near the courthouse, along with my other colleagues you can find on avvo. You may have some defenses to your DUI, seeing that you passed the breathalyzer, there shouldnt have been a urine test. Contact a few attorneys on monday and go from there. if you are in poverty then a public defender will be appointed to you at your next court appearance.


It is a CRIMINAL TRAFFIC case, which means you can be incarcerated in the local jail. Your best case scenario is an experienced criminal defense attorney getting the case dismissed or you are found not guilty at trial.
DUI's are surprisingly a very complex area of criminal law. Do yourself a favor and hire an experienced DUI attorney to represent you on this

Please be advise that by answering a general question on this public forum DOES NOT establish an attorney-client relationship with the asker. Any answer given is a generalized answer based on the facts presented in the question and therefore any answer given is not legal advice. Only an attorney with all the facts and circumstances with whom you have consulted with in person can give you proper advice.


Don't speculate, hire an attorney to protect your future.

A DUI will remain on your record for the rest of your life. A first offense carries a minimum punishment of six-month drivers license suspension and up to six months in jail, and a year of probation with community service hours, heavy fines and court costs, counseling sessions, vehicle impoundment, and victim impact panels!

You sound like you have a good case. How is anyone going to prove what you had in your system impaired you if a metabolite shows up which could've been there for over 30 days?

A good cross examiner can definitely fight and win this case for you. Do not plead guilty without consulting one or two good DUI lawyers in your area. Free consultations and payment plans are available. Take advantage of that now.

If this answer helped you, please be so kind as to mark it "helpful" or "best answer". This would be greatly appreciated. Remember, this is not legal advice from Criminal Defense Lawyer Albert Quirantes, or the Ticket Law Center in Miami, Florida and there is no attorney client privilege created in this communication. Don't squeal on yourself by making admissions on this public website. Only ask theoretical questions of a general nature for your own protection.