Skip to main content

What happens if I'm expected to fly my 17 year old to visit his father but I cannot afford the airfare?

Yorkville, IL |

Court case is Kendall County IL, we moved to Utah. Both parents agreed to the move. Son is 17, father has a court order that I pay to fly him home but I cannot afford the last minute airfares, what will they do if I can't send him?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


so why did you wait until the last minute?

you could be held in contempt. you could be ordered to pay his fees. you could be ordered to provide make up visits. you could have the funds withdrawn from the child support.

go get the money or put it on a credit card and send him.


I agree with Attorney Schlesinger. In some sense, the hard part is over--that is, that both parents agreed to the move to Utah. Perhaps there might be an additional agreement regarding this travel, however, every effort should be made to comply with the court order so as to avoid future problems. Was the order for the travel so recent that there was no time to book the travel in advance? The modification of the court order for travel however would entail another trip to Illinois to appear before the judge that issued the order, so the most economical step would seem to be flying the son to Illinois...

The information provided here should not be construed to be formal legal advice. The provision of this general advice does not create a lawyer-client relationship. Persons with legal questions are encouraged to seek independent counsel for advice regarding their individual legal issues.


The obvious is to have the dad pay in lieu of a portion of your child support. Or borrow the money. You were allowed to move based on your agreement to pay. It is not last minute. You knew this.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.