What happens if i lie about food benefits

Clackamas, OR |

i signed up for food benefits at dhs and got 2 months worth of money for food. the thing is i said i had full custody of my 2 kids and they were with me 100% of the time. this actually isn't true.. what happens if dhs finds out i lied? can i go back and change it?

cant i just call them and tell them i made a mistake and have it changed?

Best Answer

The short answer is that you lied and if they find out, you could be prosecuted.

Actual legal advice can only be provided by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, with experience in the area of law regarding your question. The information provided is for informational purposes only and is not legal advice.

Woudl be charged with welfare fraud. Before you try and change the information you need to talk with a local criminal defense attorney.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

Lying on a government application is a crime. Be careful.

I agree with what has been said but would add that there is an old saying "the Wheels of God grind slow but exceedingly fine." Never assume that you can cheat the government, your act will have a way of catching up, and you could suddenly find yourself having to defend yourself in a years old case.

Jay Bodzin

Jay Bodzin

Dieu est muerte; viva l'etat. (With apologies for my lousy French: "God is dead; long live the state." This is not meant theologically, but as a metaphor: It's not God's wheels you need to be concerned with, but the government's. God forgives - according to some people, anyway - but prosecutors rarely do.)

Norman Antonio Stiteler

Norman Antonio Stiteler

Excellent comment!