Skip to main content

What happens if i got into an accident but with expired ins. and susp. licence, even though it wasnt my fault, my car totaled?

Chicago, IL |

i am a veteran of the united states army. my licence was suspended due to a ticket i received in hinesville, georgia. the ticket was given due to the fact that my vehicle wasnt registered. so that explains the licence. i had no insurance because i really have no source of income. i am waiting on a disability claim from the VA. i drove my car because people would pay me to come and pick them up. i got into an accident where the other car decided to to a quick turn in front of me at a yellow light. i had the right of way. she hit me on my drivers side and sent me into a pole, totaling my car. now my prior medical conditions were aggravated and newer ones arose. what can i do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow your doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to your medical records. Photograph your injuries and the damage done to any vehicle or other property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on dealing with many of the issues you are now facing.

Legal Disclaimer:

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to insure proper advice is received.


I am licensed in Illinois and Georgia.

The fact that you were driving on a suspended license does not make the other party in your crash less negligent. Nor does it make you negligent for the crash. It just means you had no right to be driving. That said, you still have a right to make a claim if you suffered injuries and damages that you can establish with competent evidence was causally related to the crash.

I suggest you obtain counsel as soon as possible to help you with this claim. Without competent help, I am sure you are going to end up with nothing more than a fist full of air.

Good Luck.

Donald Nathan


I 100% agree with attorney Nathan. The state of your license has nothing to do with the fact that the other driver should have been careful. If your medical condition has been made worst as the result of the crash, you need to speak with an attorney in your area immediately so that a proper claim can be made against the other driver's insurance.

You can search AVVO for a list of attorneys in your area or you can contact my office and I will be more than happy to assist you in finding one.

I hope this helps-

Nima Taradji

Disclaimer: I am a lawyer licensed in the State of Illinois only, and I am not your lawyer (unless you have been in my office and signed a contract). This communication is not intended as legal advice, and no attorney client relationship results. Please consult your own attorney for legal advice. This is for informational purposes only.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer