Skip to main content

What happens if charges are pressed against me in a state I am no longer in, and the police have no way of finding me?

Pensacola, FL |

I was in the Navy stationed in Pensacola Florida. I was in an alcohol related incident and I was bakers acted after breaking a cop car window. This happened July 5th 2013 To this day I dont know of any charges. I was separated from the Navy and I am now home in California. Would the police know where to find me if charges are pressed on me? How can I find out if charges are being pressed on me?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

You could probably just call the police agency that arrested you, the clerk's office, or the State Attorney's Office to find out if you have an outstanding warrant. If you do, you shouldn't ignore, but should hire a lawyer. If you ignore a warrant, you'll eventually come into contact with a police agency (you'll get pulled over for speeding, you'll report a burglary, etc.), and you'll get held pending an extradition decision to Florida.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy), and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me for a free consultation at 813-635-0222. Also, if you liked this answer as much as my big ego thinks you did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button!


This truly sounds like a criminal defense related question and has little, if anything, to do with domestic violence.

Bill Rosenfelt 407-462-8787 (Orlando/Longwood/Central Florida)

Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.


In my opinion, you should hire counsel in the state from which you moved to look into the matter. According to most state laws, if you have an open warrant, then you are a fugitive and that status can subject you to all kinds of additional headaches. You don't want to leave it alone, but rather, be proactive.
Counsel can assist you with setting up your defense from a distance, but ultimately, you most likely have to appear in order to finalize this in a manner most favorable to you.

Michael James Edwards II

Michael James Edwards II


The sooner the better.


You should hire a local attorney to investigate this situation for you. It may be possible that you have outstanding arrest warrants. If you have an outstanding warrant and you are arrested/pulled over in California, the NCIC/FCIC systems used by the police will reveal your warrant and you may be taken into custody and forced to go through an extradition process with the state of Florida.

Contact an attorney and give him/her your name, date of birth and date of arrest and they should be able to find out more information about your case.

Please be careful what information you post over the internet via websites like this one. Anything you say can be used against you at a later proceeding. You may contact me for a free consultation. phone: 954-620-8320 email: Visit or

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer