Skip to main content

What happens if a refugee leaves the US without a travel document?

Austin, TX |

In an Iraqi refugee , but I currently live and work in Dubai , If I stay in the US longer than 6 months my work , money and house will be lost in Dubai and my visa will be canceled . I have been told that applying for a travel document would take more than four months and sometimes you might get denied from having it if you they don't think your reasons are good enough . My question is , if I apply for a travel document and it takes longer than 4 months or gets denied , can I leave without it ? what happens when I try to go back to the US , and would leaving without a travel document affect my wife and kids status in the US ( they are refugees , too ) ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You might lose your refugee status. Your wife and kids, if they remain in the US, will not.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Immigration issues such as yours have no easy answers. I would be very careful about leaving the country and/or staying without proper "status", and you really should contact an immigration attorney ASAP to assist you with this matter!


a bit of common sense here. if you think that you might need to travel in the future for a ligitimate reason, apply now and prove the reason iadvance of the need. there is a way to speed up the process but that isonly for emergencies.

The advice that I give in each answer or legal is not intended to take the place of an in person consultation. A complete answer takes an in depth interview. After all, it is a life that is at stake. If you are in another city that I do not service ask me and I might be able to recommend you an attorney there. In general, in Houston, I recommend Adan Vega or Bruce Coane, Specialists. In Dallas I recommend Richard Fernandez, Elizabeth Cedillo or Yong Wood as highly skilled and experienced. In South Texas I recommend Jodi Goodwin from Harlengin or Leonel Perez of Edinburg. In San Antonio I recommend Bob or Nancy Shivers or drive to Austin to see me or my talented associate Jacqueline Watson.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer