Skip to main content

What happens if beneficiary of a trust dies before the age required to receive trust and a clause states an age must be attain

Kingston, NY |

trust says if beneficiary dies it goes to bene's issue then living. Clause says if bene dies before 35 then trust distributes to settlor's issue then living

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

The terms of the trust goven the rules associated with the funds payable upon the death of a beneficiary prior to their achieving the designated age. In some cases, the trust assets will state that funds go to the issue (children) of the beneficiary and, in other cases, the funds will go to another party. If the trust is not clear, a court can be asked to interpret the grantor's intent as best as may be possible. I hope this helps. If you need further questions answered, consult an attorney and bring in all relevant documents for his or her careful review.


It is held in trust by the then acting trustee and distributed at age 35.
There may be other provisions that allow the trustee to pay for education, health, etc.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.


The trust terms will dictate what happens. From your question it seems like there is a conflict in the terms of the trust. You should have it reviewed by an experienced attorney


Both attorneys offer sound advice. To get a conclusive answer have the document reviewed by an estates attorney. Anything less than that is guessing and is worthless.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is , his website is and his blog is <> Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received. By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer