Skip to main content

What happenes if you violate a felony probation that was a drug charge with another drug charge 30days after being released?

Riverdale, GA |

My friend was just released from jail on a 12mos do 6 sentence for harrassing phone calls. Prior to this charge two months earlier he was sentenced to 5yr felony probation. He has only been out of jail for 1month and has a new drug charge. He made bond. What will happen when he goes to answer for this new charge?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

he needs to hire a lawyer because he is going to be looking at a probation revocation charge for being arrested on a new drug charge while being on probation for a drug charge...feel free to contact me should you need further advice or counsel. With regards,

P. Darrell Kimbrell

The information is provided for general purposes only and should not be relied upon. You are advised to consult with an attorney of your choosing, who can advise you on the particular facts and options in your case. No attorney-client relationship is intended or formed absent you executing a signed fee agreement. P. Darrell Kimbrell is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. Information provided is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. This response, or any response, is not legal advice nor does such response create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.


Your friend has a number of problems and needs to get an attorney. First, each of the new charges could be the basis for revoking his 5 year probation on the felony charge. Second, the new charge has a higher risk of jail time because many prosecutors will say "why give him probation when he just got in trouble after a few months the last time he got probation." An attorney may be able to work out an alternative.