Skip to main content

What forms do I need to complete to file for and get divorced in Maryland without using an attorney? What is the filing process?

Gaithersburg, MD |

Have been separated 4 yrs. but don't have a separation agreement. Divorce will be uncontested. We've already divided property & money; kids are grown. We sold our home before we separated - split the profits - since then have each purchased our own house. Each of us will waive entitlement to the other's retirement money. I started filling out some documents online but they require a lot of financial information (etc) that doesn't seem necessary given our circumstances. Are there basic documents I can use that require minimal information? Can you provide these forms to me for Maryland? Can you explain the filing process?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You can do it yourself. All of the forms are available at along with guides on how to use them. Start by filling out a complaint and a case information report. Then you'll file in the circuit court in the county where you live. you'll then serve the other party with the complaint, and they can answer etc.

This is not legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. This is for education and informational purposes only. It is always recommended that you contact an attorney with any concerns as each individual case is unique.


I don't practice in Maryland, but usually taking a trip to the courthouse and just asking the information desk or the clerk basic questions will get you started. Check if there is a guidebook available to you which will also help you through the process and understand it. Good luck!

This answer is not intended or offered as legal advice, and thus the reader should not rely on any information provided in this answer as such. Readers should not consider the information provided to be an invitation for an attorney-client relationship, and should always seek the advice of an independent attorney. People seeking specific legal advice or assistance should contact an attorney. The content of any Internet e-mail sent to Khan Legal Group, LLC at the e-mail address set forth in this web site will not create an attorney-client relationship and will not be treated as confidential. The content of this answer contains general information and may or may not reflect the current legal developments of Connecticut law. Attorney Khan is not licensed to practice law in any state but Connecticut.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer