Skip to main content

What Form/s do I need to fill out , to get my green card back that expired 8 years ago.

New York, NY |

Hi, I got my Green Card issued (the first time) in Oct 1989 (for 2 years) through my Husband (Active Duty Army). My Husband past away active duty in Nov 1990. In 1994, I got issued a 10 year Permenant Residence Card in San Diego, CA. I came back to live in Italy (working as a civilian) for the US Military. My green card expired in 2004, but I now i would like to move and work in the US. Thanks in advance!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Because you have been out of the country for more than 1 year, your green card will be considered abandoned. You will need an attorney experienced working with consulates to try to help you apply for an exception. It may be extremely difficult.

Andrew M. Bramante, Rosner Partners, 216-771-5588. Free telephone consultation. You should always consult with an experienced immigration attorney to make certain that the advice you received is appropriate for your particular immigration case.


There is no automatic abandonment of a green card. There is a rebuttal resumption of abandonment that can be overcome in many circumstances including those like yours if you can convince people that you always planned to return and back it with real evidence to support this.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


It may or may not be possible depending on all the facts of the case.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer