Skip to main content

What form do I use in order for my wife to be able to work?

Cuyahoga Falls, OH |

I've sent forms I-485 and I-864 already. We are awaiting a reply from USCIS. My wife is here on a K-1 Fiance Visa from brasil in November 2012. We were married December 2012. Thank you for your help.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Hopefully, you sent in form I-765 along with the I-485.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.



Unfortunately I did not. Will I have to pay a seperate fee now to for them to approve form I-765?


Certain aliens who are temporarily in the United States may file this form to request an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). Other aliens who are authorized to work in the United States without restrictions must also use this form to apply for a document that shows such authorization.

This is not a legal advice or solicitation, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Consult with an attorney. I work for Cardinal Risk Mangement and Cardinal Intellectual Property, IP service companies, but not law firms . I also am the president of Vepachedu Educational Foundation Inc., which is a non profit educational foundation. I also write cultural and scientific compliations for the foundaiton. I also teach at Northwestern university as a guest lecturer. I also provide some pro-bono guidance on immigration and other issues through Indian American Bar Association. I also have a contract with Cardinal Law Group, a law firm, for IP projects. All this information is on my profile at Avvo and also at Linkedin.


What good does it make to send forms around without reading the instructions on the form first. Had you read the instructions to I-485, you would have learned that I-765 and I-131 should have been filed contemporaneously with the AOS application. That I-765 is the very form for EAD you are asking about. BTW, in case, you will continue filing forms without reading instructions, there is no additional fee for I-765 as well as for I-131 - application for travel document. All you need to do is attach to the forms a copy of the I-485.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Did you also file an I-765?

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
Concentrating in Immigration Law

2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
San Diego, CA 92108 | (619) 299-9600
Fax: (619) 923-3277

Former Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
University of Illinois College of Law


The I-765 should have been included. Not know when you filed it may no longer be of any advantage to you to file the I-765 as the resident card also authorizes employment.


Robert Brown LLC
1476 W. 9th Street, Suite 800
Cleveland, Ohio 44113

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer