Skip to main content

What form do i need to bring my wife from Vietnam overhere? What do we need to prepare? How long is the procedure of sponsoring?

Houston, TX |

I went to Vietnam last year and legally get married with all the paper work done overthere. However, we never had a big wedding overthere because my wife does not want a lot of people know until all the paper work in the U,S, is done. She wants to come here with me right after the wedding.

+ Read More

Filed under: Immigration US visas
Attorney answers 3


Brace yourself to wait about a year and a half before you can see your wife in the US. It's a complicated and lengthy process, whose explanation is well beyond the scope of a free consultation on the internet. Research that on your own (Google "immigrating one's foreign spouse to the US"( or schedule a consultation with an experienced immigration lawyer.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


You start with I-130 plus supporting documents. The process takes about a year, possibly longer. You will be dealing with three entities - the regional center, the National Visa center, the US consulate. Are you sure you want to do it on your own. Usually hiring a good lawyer saves time and, yes, money.


I agree with my colleagues, there is no way quick way to have your wife come to the U.S. I would recommend seeking a local immigration attorney to assist you with the process.

This is not legal advice as many facts are still unknown, and an attorney-client relationship has not been created.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer