Skip to main content

What exactly will happen when I get off probation?

Cumming, GA |

I was charged with felon shoplifting. I was with a old friend who was stealing. I took a plea bargain under the first offenders act. I am reading so many different things about it and dont know what to believe. I am sentenced 4 years. probabtion told me 2 years. After 4 years will my record be clean or what will be record say and how can I get it earsed or sealed. I am trying to go into the healthcare field and have been going to school for it prior to my charges. Will I still have shoplifting on my file?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Never be clean unless a juvenile or it is expunged.


If the terms of your first offender sentence have been successfully completed, and you are discharged, those charges should be sealed on the GCIC database when the discharge is applied to the GCIC criminal history; however, such information may be available through other sources, including court docket books, criminal justice agency websites, or through “third party” vendors. GCIC must receive official notification that you have successfully completed the First Offender requirements. The record is not automatically sealed based on the passage of the probation sentence.



I live in GA. I am in the same situation I was charged with felony forgery and I accepted the plea under the first offenders act and after my probation was over it was sealed by it self I didn't have to do anything. I got a GCIC report done and it stated that I didn't have a record found. The question I have is when an employer such as the hospitals do a background check will it show the same thing that I got back from the GCIC report.


Your statement of your facts is not clear. If you were not convicted or adjudicated guilty in your case and you have been placed on probation, you may be eligible to have your criminal history record for this case sealed or expunged. If your record for this case is sealed it may still be subject to review by certain licensing agencies.

If you were not formally convicted of the offense, due to first offender treatment, then you would have to follow your state's procedure for sealing or expunging your record. In Florida, your sentence must be completed. After that, you are required to obtain a certificate from the Clerk of the Court in the County where your case was addressed by the court, which will certify that the disposition in the case is one that could be sealed or expunged. Next, your clerk's certificate is forwarded to the office of the prosecuting attorney who reviews whether the case is eligible to be sealed or expunged. Next, if you receive that clearance, your forms are forwarded to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) with a certified copy of your fingerprints and an investigation fee. The FDLE then reviews the particular record but also searches throughout the State and also the nation to see if you have any offenses in any other jurisdiction that would make you ineligible for the sealing or expunction. If, after the FDLE reviews your records and it issues a certificate of eligibility, you can file a petition with the court to seal or expunge the record. If you get the FDLE's blessing, the court's seal or expunge records easily.

Now, is that the process in your state? I do not know. You would have to consult with a lawyer who handles criminal defense cases to find out exactly what must be done.

Next, depending on the law in Georgia, it may not (at this stage) be worth it to go through the effort, if the health care licensing board is going to discover your history in any event.

Another consideration may be, if Georgia allows the licensing board to see this type of crime in any event, to wait until after you get your license and then seal or expunge the record, so that potential employers do not see the history. All they will know is that you went through the necessary schooling and were approved by the licensing board.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer