What exactly does the age of consent mean?

Easton, MD |

A close friend of my daughter's is currently 16 as well as pregnant.. My concern is the age of the father. The father is 28. They live in Maryland and it states that 16 is legal age of consent, however, does this make their relationship legal? I do not know anything about this "age of consent" law. If you could fill me in on this I would gladly appreciate it. Thanks!

The age of consent normally is defined as the age at which a minor has the capacity to consent to sexual relations with another person. You are correct that the age of consent in Maryland is 16. However, under some circumstances--for example, if the 28 year-old has temporary custody of the child, or is related to her--having sex with a 16 year-old may still be criminal. Also, to say that it is legal for a 28 year-old to have sex with a 16 year-old does not mean that it's moral or healthy for the child.

THIS RESPONSE DOES NOT ESTABLISH AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND DOES NOT CONSTITUTE LEGAL ADVICE. IF YOU WISH TO OBTAIN LEGAL ADVICE UPON WHICH YOU CAN RELY, PLEASE CONTACT MY OFFICE OR THAT OF ANOTHER ATTORNEY FAMILIAR WITH THE SUBJECT MATTER OF YOUR INQUIRY.